Extend the Life of Your Heating SystemA well-maintained heating system will not only last a long time, it’ll also help minimize efficiency loss. Here are a few things you can do to extend the life of your heating system(2):
1. Clean your filters every month and replace them on a regular basis.
2. Make sure the air ducts and heating pipes are properly sealed.
3. Check for and remove dirt or corrosion if you see it.
4. Keep the heat exchanger clean to maintain heating levels.
5. Keep your air vents clear. If you have curtains or furniture in front of your air vents, move them away to ensure that heat is able to enter the room.
How Efficient is Your Furnace?
The more efficient your combustion heating appliance (e.g., furnace or boiler) is at converting fuel to heat, the more heat you’ll retain in your home. Efficiency is measured by its AFUE — Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. The AFUE is found when you divide the annual fossil fuel energy your appliance consumes by how efficient it is at converting energy from its fuel to heat(2).
When you know your heater’s AFUE, you can assess whether or not it’s time to upgrade your system. Typically, you can search the manufacturer’s website by model or serial number to find your furnace or boiler’s efficiency rating.
56-70% AFUE: Older, low-efficiency heating systems fall within this range. If this sounds like your system, consider upgrading.
80-83% AFUE: This is a mid-efficiency heating system.
90-98.5% AFUE: This is a high-efficiency heating system.
Keep Energy Costs Down All Year
Did you know many of the things you can do to keep your home warm in the winter also keep your home comfortable all year, even in the summer? Tasks such as cleaning your system’s filters, using a programmable thermostat and fixing drafts are all ways to ensure your home remains comfortable in any season.
Here are some more tips:
– Install a high-efficiency heating and cooling system to reduce your energy usage by 20-50%(2)
– Clean or replace your unit’s filters once a month to lower consumption by 5-15%(2)
– Turn your thermostat switch to “auto.” This will help you save energy and prevent your system from running constantly.
Contact us before undertaking any renovation or improvement project to prepare your home for sale; we’d be happy to provide advice and guidance on how to get the most resale benefit.
1. PG&E 2. Energy.gov 3. Natural Resources Canada 4. Energy Star